Insurance premiums are one of those things that often feel like a “necessary evil” of modern life. Evil in that it can be expensive – if you don’t compare the insurance plans before settling on one, you might unnecessarily be paying more – taking up a sizeable chunk of your expenses each year. Yet, when you do need the payouts, you are ever so glad you have it and are likely happy to have paid those premiums.
Key insurance policies everyone should own
There are many different types of insurance plans and policies, each with their own coverage terms, merits and purpose in your portfolio. These plans differ from individual to individual, and there isn't a set list of 'best insurance plans' for everyone.
Here are, however, five of the most common insurance types you should consider in order to be adequately covered:
Life insurance is taking up over 90% of Hong Kong’s insurance market. It offers different types of policies including whole life, term life or endowment, and ultimately covers the insurer’s family financial needs in the event of your death.
This insurance covers most of the medical expenses, including outpatient care, hospital cash, surgeries and more. However, do take note that there are some common exclusions like pregnancy, dental treatment and pre-existing conditions.
3. Critical IllnessThis insurance type pays out a specified sum when a critical illness like cancer, heart attack or stroke is diagnosed.
4. Voluntary Health Insurance Scheme (VHIS)As a newly developed insurance product in the market, VHIS offers a higher transparency level and eligibility for tax deductions, covering actual expenses from hospitalisation or day case procedures.
5. Personal AccidentThis insurance type covers medical expenses arising from the treatment of the injury, dismemberment or accidental death.
Why should you pay your insurance premiums with your credit card via CardUp
Paying these insurance premiums may not be much fun, but there is no reason why the process should not be easy. Setting up all your premiums for the different insurance types on a single platform such as CardUp not only makes it easier to manage, it also comes with these other benefits:
- Earn rewards on your credit cards for this large, recurring payment (both miles and cash-back)
- Maximise your rewards by contributing to your card's monthly minimum spend requirements, if any
- Free up cash for other uses
- Digitise your payments by shifting them online, making it easier to manage and track
Here's how you can get started paying your insurance premiums with CardUp
CardUp makes paying your insurance premiums a breeze! Here's how you can get started setting up recurring payments in a few minutes, allowing you to spend less time making payments and more time enjoying the benefits of your cards:
- Sign up for a free account, or log in to your existing account
- Select "Insurance" as your payment type
- Choose a pre-loaded insurance provider or add a new recipient if your provider is not listed. Fill in the relevant details, such as the provider's name and bank account number
- Fill in your payment amount and details
- Select your credit card, review and confirm your payment!
Your insurance premium payments should not be something that you dread each time it comes around. With CardUp, you'll be able to rack up even more rewards on your favourite credit cards, while staying insured at the same time.